Photos by authors
Description of Garmin eTrex 10 Navigator
Unparalleled Features and Reliability
The Navigator Garmin eTrex 10, an exceptional GPS device, continues to impress with its range of powerful features and unwavering reliability. Designed to withstand rugged environments, this handheld navigator is an ideal companion for outdoor enthusiasts and adventurers. Its core features, such as accurate positioning and navigation, are retained from the previous eTrex models, while enhancements have been made to ensure affordability and extended battery life.
Exploring Comparable GPS Finders & Accessories
While the Navigator Garmin eTrex 10 stands out ...
- Price (was) - 6, 10 years ago . Durability and reliability. It's been 10 years - no breakage. But the screen still sweats if it floats in the water for a long time. 36 hours of operation on conventional batteries, which I think is beyond praise. Without frequent use of backlight, with glonas, in conditions of poor visibility of satellites. Convenient minimalistic electronic compass: set the point "azimuth 300, 2500 meters" and move to it along the windbreak. As well as showing time with speed, sunset, average speed. He knows how, and he knows how to do it well. Maps can be loaded. Ran a large number of competitions and did many hikes with him, using maps. But it's not easy!
- Price. Now for the money I would not take it. The black-and-white screen is not very convenient for navigating through the maps, which can still be uploaded to it. Just some eternal bugs with rendering - sometimes roads, sometimes forests, roads become visible only when approaching, but then they occupy half the screen. Or the forest is painted over with the texture of "Christmas trees" that block the paths . The device was not sharpened for this, of course. And in general, with some effort, you can adjust the type of rendering for it. But I'm still lazy. For orientation when moving on foot, in addition to a paper map and compass, it will do. Enough for hiking. For running, orienteering competitions, MMB type, etc. - it’s not so convenient anymore, I have to spend a lot of time roaming around the map with a small screen, I practically don’t use it for navigation, I only correct some distant “shots” to a clear and unambiguous reference point in azimuth through green light, but I shoot movement statistics. The joystick touches on the go - it's better to switch to the "travel computer" menu - the joystick is not active there. The rubber on the joystick became sticky to the touch (after 5 years). The screen sweated a couple of times when the device was under water for a long time.
- Convenient menu and controls. Economical. Quickly catches satellites, reacts to course deviations after a few steps. Gives out a lot of useful information. Tolerable price (no competitors). It is convenient to work through the USB port - it is visible as an external drive.
- Hangs for 3-5 seconds. when marking waypoints. A small amount of memory is the company's policy . - for these minuses I lower the score by a point. The rest is not critical. All the disadvantages inherent in a black and white LCD display of small size and resolution. For operational work, you always need a computer at hand, otherwise a very time-consuming process is obtained. It’s convenient to hold in your hands, you can hang it around your neck, but it’s problematic to fix it somewhere (bicycle, moto-car), until you figured out how.
- Holds a charge for a long time. It shows the exact time. There is a comp. Although the reviews say that it is not, I specifically checked 3 km to the car in the forest. to. there are no real compeors.
- 1The most important thing is a weak connection in the forest, it crashes and needs to be rebooted. 2 It’s inconvenient to fill points with a joystick. 3 At -15 it starts to fail, the processor is to blame. The screen is fine. 4 It was difficult to connect to the computer only through the forums.
- Reliable and accurate navigation tool for outdoor activities.
- Screen size is small and may be difficult to read in certain lighting conditions.
- waterproof! reliable! lasts longer than anyone else runs on batteries! glass glass and not plastic! frost-resistant and all-weather! glonas! although the joystick sticks out, it’s still a plus, the visibility of the screen at any time of the day, that is, it does not glare and does not go blind,
- when using the function, marking a waypoint, it hangs to see a weak processor, but it’s not critical and you can put up with it . there’s no way to call and send SMS, it doesn’t show traffic jams, there’s no way to access the Internet,
- The black-and-white screen is visible in any light, large batteries, economy, price.
- The joystick sticks out - I'm afraid to break it with hard objects in the bag. Accessory marketing? Narrow testing? There is no clock with seconds to set the camera clock on them and then programmatically link pictures. I put it on a smartphone with NTP, and if in the wilderness? Bought it for this! Very little memory. Marketing older models? Could give maps of cities (one by one, with reloading) at the price of Google Maps or 2GIS, that is, for free.
- Compared to previous Garmin Etrex H - Built-in base map of the world - Full 2022 language support - The name of the waypoint can be written in several words (in the previous model there were only 6 characters) - In addition to the name, an even longer comment can be added to each point. - Convenient joystick control. - Collaboration of GPS and Glonass - the number of found satellites has become larger, work to determine coordinates is more accurate and faster - Number of waypoints and routes doubled - PC connection cable included - Possibility to upload cache descriptions with coordinates to the device for Geocaching
- - No belt clip - Poor instructions, but everything is intuitive